Using Bluetooth button pads with Mira

I saw somewhere that we could use the a bluetooth button pad for controlling Mira. How do we get Mira to recognise them? Are there specific button pads that work well? This would be very helpful in noisy and turbulent conditions, and would hopefully mean we could have Mira working in the background in such conditions whilst we used Garmin/Foreflight in the foreground

Some examples that will work. Once you pair it with your device, it should just work.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Control-Motorcycle-Steering/dp/B081RLWSTL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VNXZK05OCPAJ&keywords=bluetooth+buttons&qid=1661178728&sprefix=bluetooth+buttons%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Chubby-Buttons-Splash-Resistant-Smartphone-Snowboarders/dp/B07FBQ3PCF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1VNXZK05OCPAJ&keywords=bluetooth+buttons&qid=1661178765&sprefix=bluetooth+buttons%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Bluetooth-Steering-Control-Compatible/dp/B085BYDHG9/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1VNXZK05OCPAJ&keywords=bluetooth+buttons&qid=1661178765&sprefix=bluetooth+buttons%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-6

How does the BT button get associated with a specific MiraCheck button?

I bought one of these and it doesn’t seem to work. It will trigger the iPad camera, but MiraCheck doesn’t respond to it.

Bluetooth buttons are associated with music controls. So next track checks an item, previous tracks goes back an item and pause/play plays item or silences item if speaking. Bluetooth buttons are paired with your phone like any bluetooth device and then typically control music players on the device. Besides bluetooth buttons this can be tested with any smartwatch as well using the bluetooth player controls on a Garmin watch or Apple Watch. Basically the same controls the control music on your phone. If you pair in your car it can also be tested using the music controls typically on steering wheel.

See if there is some configuration with the one you bought that instead of controlling camera, it controls music player.

I’d like to be able to put my iPad Mini on a mount in the cockpit and use MiraCheck as my SOP / checklists. My throttles are on a center console and putting a BT button on the console means I can go through the checklists without moving my hands from their normal position near the throttle. I’d like to check an item with just one push of the button.

I bought a button and found that the Next Track function does check an item. However, on the button I bought that’s a triple click, and other buttons it seems to be at least a double click. Single click is always play/pause. Using Play/Pause to replay/hush Mira seems redundant. If I’m using the Mira voice, why wouldn’t I hush her with a voice command?

Is there a way to change which button function maps to which MiraCheck function?

Currently there is not a way from within the app. It looks like the hardware button you bought has mapped the music commands to these triple and double clicks. The links I shared above we have tested with and they are all single click. We will look at in the future of providing an alternative way but you may want to try onf of the buttons above for immediate compatibility.

I think this is a better solution. One button, which can be configured for a wide variety of functions. I programmed it for Next Track, and now one button push checks an item in MiraCheck. I’ll mount the button on my console and iPad Mini at eye height.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084H3NNZ9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

That’s cool. Thanks for sharing!

I’m using the button with a dedicated iPad Mini that just runs Mira. It is mounted on my console, just behind my throttle and ahead of my pitch trim so it is right where my hand rests.

Is there anyway to use a BT button to respond to a Yes/No?

With a standard bluetooth controller that has a Next and Previous button the Next button selects Yes and the Previous button selected No. So if you can program it to be a Previous Track button it should work.

That worked. I programmed a “hold” (aka long press) to be Previous. A single press is Next which is also Yes.